Monday, March 30, 2009

Old People and Technology (Plus Weekend Quick Hits)

So my uncle and cousin were up this past weekend from Connecticut to attend my late grandfathers induction into the Hingham High School Hall of Fame. They both ended up spending the evening at my place, which was nice because I had not seen either of them in a while. However, due to sleeping arangements, I was moved from my bed to the couch downstairs so my uncle could sleep in the bed. Kind of stunk, but oh well thats life, it could have been worse. I was woken up on Sunday morning to the voices of my parents and my uncle talking about the Men's NCAA Tournament and who was playing that day and at what time?(Louisville vs. Michigan State and Oklahoma vs. UNC) Neither the three of them, all sports fans mind you, could come up with either matchup. There was a computer connected to the internet literally 10 feet away from them and neither of them took the ten steps to go to
the internet and type in www.espn.com or something of the like.

It almost gets to a point where it is frustrating when people have such simple questions yet neglect to use their resources. Sure the internet isn't something that they grew up with like modern young adults, however at some point they are going to have to suck it up and
start using these resources. A little bit after the discussion about what teams were playing yesterday(at this point I was awake and off of the couch), my uncle asked what channel was the weather channel so he could see the forcast for his drive back to Connecticut. I reluctantly told him it was 47 while in my mind I was thinking just to go to Weather.com and type in the appropriate zip code.

Another thing that is frustrating about old people and the internet is that my other uncle (who gave a great acceptance speech for my grandfather, his father, by the way) is in his late 60's and only knows how to really use e-mail. He aquired my email address a while back and each day I used to have my inbox flooded with e-mail forwards. Now my uncle is kind of a sick man and will forward on anything, including some horrifying pictures of naked males with rather small parts and extremely overweight females doing basic things like riding a bicycle amoung a plethera of dirty jokes and the like. Due to my frequent checking of my email at work(I work at a middle
school), it got to a point where I did not want to get in trouble for something that was in my inbox, and I had to block his email. I feel bad doing it, but it got really annoying and the last thing I need is to lose my job over something like this.

So if you happen to be an old person who is reading this: learn to use the internet.

But you're definitely not an old person, as this is the internet... sigh.

Weekend Quick Hits:

-Villanova over Pittsburgh... too bad I could only watch the stattracker on my cousins blackberry while at the HOF induction(which tells me I need a blackberry/iphone ASAP).

-First a 911 call over McDonalds McNuggets, now a form of payment... for prostitution?!?

-Is the ShamWow! guy gonna have to smack a bitch?

- Jack Edwards is the best NHL announcer in the league, and i'm happy hes the Bruins announcer... and he just went crazy on this cheap shot by Lucic

No comments:

Post a Comment