Monday, June 22, 2009

The Worst US Open in the history of the PGA

So many stories were gracing the headlines last week about this past weekends U.S. Open at Bethpage Black in New York: Tigers return to the U.S. Open, Rocco Mediate doing the improbable again, Phil's return to golf after his wifes diagnosis of breast cancer, etc etc. But the only thing that seemed to happen was rain, and rain, and rain. It was by far the most disapointing U.S. Open that I can remember. This weekend I would turn on the TV and get myself ready for some good action and all I would see was the analysists sitting in front of the camera showing groundscrew members sweeping off the water from the greens.

Last year was incredible. A tie after 72 holes between the number one ranked golfer in the world and a relative unknown. An 18 hole stroke play playoff, only for that to go into extra holes... oh, and for the winner to be doing all of this with a tear in his ACL. The 2008 U.S. Open would go down in history as one of the best ever played, which left high expectations with the fans for the 2009 Open, however Mother Nature had other plans.

I was frustrated watching it, because I would never know when it would be on, and even if I started watching there was a risk of it stopping at any time due to the weather. And if I was that frustrated watching it, imagine being one of the players trying to play in it? Most sports involve a lot of flow and rythem, both of which golfers need to have. Players couldn't find their groove, and once players did the horns would blow and the players needed to get off of the course.

Unfortunately, there is nothing anybody could do about it. Mother nature should have been declared the winner of this tournament. But congradulations to Lucas Glover for capturing the trophy. Also, David Duval finishing tied for second place? Who saw that one coming.

I hope that the USGA takes a look at what happened here and comes up with a contingency plan for future Major tournaments. I am by no means saying that it will be easy, however, I feel like there could have been a better way to get the tournament completed. What that would be, I don't have the faintest idea, but I don't feel like there was a Major golf tournament this past weekend, even though there was.

Oh well.

Maybe I'll see a Federer vs. Nadal championship at Wimbledon sometime soon...

Oh wait...

No comments:

Post a Comment