Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Please Keep Frozen

Over the past couple of years, Mixed Martial Arts has exploded across the globe. A big big big reason for this is because of the Ultimate Fighting Championship, which is better known as UFC. I for one, hopped on that train my sophomore year of college when my roommate at the time got me into the UFC reality TV Show: The Ultimate Fighter. TUF is basically your average reality show except with cage fighters as the entertainment. I remember back in the days when I was a young'in and the UFC was basically bar room brawling where there were basically no rules what so ever. The modern UFC, for those who still look at MMA as "human cockfighting" such as the runner up for President of this fine nation, is very well officiated and is extremely techincal. I used to be a boxing fan when I was younger, however now like the rest of the world I've moved on. Boxing can still be called "the sweet science." I think MMA could be deemed "the sweet rocket science." I, for one, am extremely excited about the upcoming UFC Video Game, too.

Now as much love as I have for MMA, I must take the time and oppertunity to say that as much as we all love him as a fighter, Chuck Liddell: you need to retire.

Now I know UFC President (and UMass alumni) Dana White said after his recent loss to Mauricio Rua at UFC 97 that Chuck was retired, however personally I have yet to come across anything that says that HE says he has retired. It is a little disheartening. His career record is 21-7 and he has lost four of his last five, meaning. before that downfall he was 20-3. I personally was never the biggest fan of the Iceman, but I definitely respected him as a fighter. His fights were always extremely entertaining and one way or another when you watched a Chuck Liddell fight, you knew that somebody would be getting knocked out. Unfortunately, in his last two fights, he was on the wrong end of that stick. I think everyone would honestly love to see one more Liddell fight, however as a fan of the sport, I just don't want to see anyone get injured.

It is time to step down Chuck. Thanks for the great fights.

No comments:

Post a Comment