Thursday, May 14, 2009

How To Ruin What Could Have Been A Great TV Show

As mentioned in the Star Trek post, I was a big fan of X-Men when I was younger. People with powers was cool to me. Cyclops shooting that red ray out of his eye, Gambit being able to throw inflamed playing cards, Storm controlling the weather and on and on and on. I turned to the show Heroes this past winter because of the show being available to be watched instantaneously with Netflix(which I stream to my Xbox 360 and is awesome by the way) and figured I'd enjoy it due to how it has a lot of similarities with X-Men.

My initial thoughts on Heroes were that it was a great TV show. Looking back, this was partially because of the fact that it was a new show and the first several episodes were about watching not only the life of these characters and learning about them, but watching them learn about their abilities and how to use them. It was really cool to see all the characters come together and follow the plot that Issac Mendez had painted, as he could see the future through the pictures he painted, and watching Sylar gain powers from other people with abilities. However, I did say at the end of season one that I was a little disappointed with the ending because I was waiting for there to be an epic fight where all the guys would be using their powers and things would be exploding and all sorts of entertaining stuff... but it didn't happen.

From there it all went downhill, however it went down gradually. But it wasn't until this season where I started asking myself "Why am I still watching this show?" Nathan Petrelli was a terrible bad guy. We watched the real bad guy drive around with some kid across the country in a station wagon for far too many episodes only to have a meaningless encounter with his father, watch Hiro and Ando bicker back and fourth like they're married, watch Daphne die withouth much of a fight by Matt Parkman and in the meantime watch Parkman get back with his ugly ex-wife, see that Denko guy go from the good guy to the bad guy like 10 times in as many episodes, and now that I actually started to catch back onto the Nathan Petrelli character they killed him off only to now have Sylar be shapeshifted into the form of Nathan and he mentally thinks that he is him? Come on, now even for a show that features people with superpowers, even that is a stretch. One way or another this show had a lot of potential, but the writers let it get away from them and everything just got way too out of control, it even got to a point where the writers neglected to remember about powers that Sylar had obtained (remember the super-sonic hearing that he had? Also how he had the human lie detector ability? What ever happened to those?).

Also, why did they get rid of Kristen Bell? She is a smokin hottie and the show was only better with her on it. Her character was actually kid of cool, too. And personally I think Hayden Panettiere is a lot hotter than people give her credit for, but apparently people in Hollywood actually dislike her, or so i've read(if anything click that past link for a hilarious picture of her looking like she might eat a baby). One way or another the last thing a show that is going downhill needs is to get rid of the eye candy. They even got rid of the THIRD(which was another rediculious part of the show) character that Ali Later played, and she added to that eye candy.

But when everything was said it done, it is all for not. There is no chance I will continue to watch Heroes when the new season comes out next year. I've been meaning to get into Rescue Me and dropping this show opens up a great opportunity to start it. One of the main taglines of heroes was "Save the Cheerleader, Save the World." Well, my advice to you is "Save your time, go watch something else."

-----

BIG NIGHT FOR BOSTON, LETS GET IT DONE GUYS!!!

-----

Follow me on Twitter!

Questions? Comments? Something you want me to write about? Let me know by sending me an instant message on AIM at "i3rian 87"

No comments:

Post a Comment